What Is Compounding?
Compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications for patients. Compounded medications are made based on a practitioner’s prescription in which individual ingredients are mixed together in the exact strength and dosage form required by the patient.
Chinook is dedicated to formulating creative, individualized and affordable compounded medications. Our highly trained pharmacists ensure that each compound we prepare meets the stringent guidelines of the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP). This provides our patients with both safe and therapeutic healthcare solutions.
How can compounding help you or your family?
Compounding can provide a solution to a myriad of issues. Some of the most common reasons people choose to compound their medications are as follows:
- if you have an allergy or intolerance to an inactive ingredient in a manufactured pharmaceutical like gluten or dye
- if a manufactured pharmaceutical is facing a shortage
- if you struggle with managing multiple medications, certain medications can be combined for your convenience
- if your retail medication is too expensive sometimes compounding can offer a more affordable option
Another widely useful benefit of compounded medication is the flexible delivery system. In addition to the standard tablet form, compounding allows our pharmacists to prepare your medications in the following forms:
- Transdermal gels/creams
- Nasal sprays
- Medicated lollipops
- Flavored oral suspensions
- Capsules/modified release capsules
- Sublingual drops
- and more…
Does your child put up a fight when it comes to taking their medicine? Rest assured, you are not alone. Children just do not like medicine. With compounding, we can turn the hard to swallow pill, into a much more palatable treat like:
- Medicated lollipop
- Flavored suspension
- Flavored chewable
If you are unsure of the best option for your child, our pharmacists would be glad to determine the form best suited for your child’s’ needs.
Administering necessary medication to your pet can post quite the challenge. Often times the struggle can lead to a waste of important and pricey pharmaceuticals. We can reduce the waste and make the process much simpler for you and your beloved pet through compounded medication in the form of:
- Flavored suspensions
- Flavored chewables
If you would like more information on how we can compound your pets medications, please give us a call.
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy
Hormones play an integral part in our overall health, maintaining the optimal hormone level for your unique body is important. Commercial hormone therapy can not be uniquely customized to fix your exact requirements the way compounded hormones can. We are equipped to offer the following hormone therapies:
- And many others
If you are interested in learning how bioidentical hormone therapy can benefit you, please give us a call.
At Chinook Pharmacy, we are committed to providing you with medication that meet your unique health needs. Sometimes, patients require medications to be blended in a specific way. This process is referred to as compounding and it is necessary for a variety of reasons, including:
- To change the form of a medication from a pill to a liquid, or gel.
- To prevent an allergic reaction by removing a non-essential ingredient such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol.
- To provide a specific dosage of a particular ingredient.
- To add flavor to a medication that is otherwise difficult for a patient to ingest.